Thursday, April 2, 2015

Great Grandma Lenore

 Nov 1932  Lenore (2years), Art, & Joe
 1949 & 2007 Grandma Lenore & Grandpa Owen
 Matt's Grandma Bennion passed away at the beginning of March.  She was a wonderful woman who left a rich legacy.

Although she had some 150+ish grandchildren and great grandchildren, she had a way of making each one feel special and loved.  Our boys have loved drawing pictures for her and seeing her over the years at family gatherings and in her home. We cherish all of the beautiful handmade ornaments she has made for Matt & our kids every Christmas.  She was an amazing teacher all of her life and taught as the savior had.  When we were newly married I had the opportunity to be in her Relief Society lessons each month. It was cherished time. She had a special way of asking thought provoking questions and conveying love to those she taught.  She was fun and happy.

 I love this picture of her surrounded by children, grandchildren and great grandchildren at the reunion a couple years ago playing the card game Werewolves. 
Yes. She was that kind of Grandma : )
 This is the face I see in my mind when I picture Grandma Bennion. Always a laughing smile.
(Lenore with her little boy, Sam.)
13 Children called her Mother. 
All but one of her living children were able to attend her funeral. Aunt Eileen who is in poor health was sorely missed.

 Clockwise from bottom center: Howard, Jeanne, Sam, Glynn, Lucy, Lillian, Jonny, Joe, Anne, Katherine, & Mary.

All of Matt's sibblings were able to be there as well except for Amanda and Johnny.  It was very good to see everyone. 

The funeral service was very nice.  Several of the children were able to speak and tell stories of their Mother.  Grandma's brother Arthur was also able to speak and tell of her growing up years.  Through the stories that were told, the themes that seemed to stand out to me were: the importance of Family Home Evening, Scripture study as a family and individually, Service, Sacrifice, and loving all those around you. 
La Nina
Some of the Grandchildren singing "I Am a Child of God."
Katie, Emily, Clara, & Jonny
Several of the Women in the Granby ward put together a wonderful Family Dinner for ALL of us! It was amazingly delicious and so beautiful.  They are so sweet.

We were able to spend the whole day at the church building together to visit and enjoy.  The little cousins were in cousin heaven!

Heath, Duke, Elaina, Julia
Isla
Lily
Shin

Maren
James


Finn



























Aunt Katie became known as the lady of treats.

Uncle Howard had too much fun with his toot machine.





























 The little cousins thought it was hilarious!


We were soaking in the Daddy time while we could.  No studying going on here.
Julia

These cookies were super yummy.

I caught Great Uncle George (Grandpa Bennion's 92 year old brother)  twice sneaking down the hall with a fist full of cookies.  He'd just say, "You caught me : )"
"You caught me again : )"  He was so spunky.
Owen
Angus, Shin, George, Anne, Porter
Toshi, Gwen, Sam

Angus. This kid slept through his alarm and missed his flight from UT. Then got on another flight and walked in the church doors about 1/2 an hour into the funeral.  He made it, but just barely.  It was sure fun to have him there.
Little Lucy
Hannah, Marian, Jake
Sarah, Uncle Doug, Joe
Pete, Sarah, Doug
Calvin, Uncle Brad, Roy, Josie


We had a wonderful time with family. and then it was time to go home...
I love my view.  It was pretty nice to have a 4 hour drive to just chat and have fun together.  : )














 I hope we can keep the memory of their wonderful great- grandparents strong for these kids.

Matt's Aunt shared this with the family.
"My Testimony
Kit, I was asked to record my testimony to include in a book which was prepared for you. I will try to collect my thoughts to do so.
I was born a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints and was taught the gospel of Jesus Christ from my infancy. At times I have had questions that have been answered as I tried to live by what I know to be true. No principle of the gospel is too small to say we do not need to practice it.
I have a firm testimony of the truthfulness of this plan of salvation, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was established on the earth by Jesus Christ, that if we follow the principles that we are taught we will come to the state where we will know that it is true ourselves.
I have come to know through the Holy Ghost the following absolutes:
1. I have a testimony of God the Father, Jesus Christ his son, and the Holy Ghost. They are three separate personages.
2. Jesus Christ lives today as a resurrected, glorified being. He is the head of our Church.
3. Joseph Smith was the prophet of the restoration. He saw what he said he saw. He did what he said he did.
4. The living scriptures are for our benefit and that if we continue to study them, we will be blessed.

The Plan of Salvation was established before this world was and has been taught to all of God’s children beginning with Adam. A passage from the Book of Mormon substantiates this. It says: “And the Messiah, who is the Son or who is the Lamb of God, of whom the Holy Ghost bareth record from the beginning of the world until this time, and from this time henceforth forever.” (I Nephi 12:18)
In the Plan of Salvation the Holy Ghost not only reminds us of this plan but when we do things that we shouldn't do, as it says in Alma, we are blessed with a “’remorse of conscience.” (Alma 42:18) Some of those things that we feel remorse for are insignificant, little childish things that we shouldn’t have done and yet they can plague us. Some of those things are much larger. When you have that awful feeling that you did something you shouldn’t have you know it is the Holy Ghost giving you that blessing of a remorse of conscience. When you do what’s right you have the other blessing which is a “peace of conscience. “ (Mosiah 4:3)
A great help to me has been the message in Ether 12:4 “ Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.”
Keep your faith alive and active. Grandma Bennion"

1 comment: