We hopped into the car and started down the freeway. As we got to our exit onto I-170, the ramp was closed. They had a detour, but it took you clear over to 270 and up and around. We exited the next street and jimmy jacked our way around until we made it back to 170. (This took us about 10 minutes) The meeting started at 7, and we had left with enough time, but were now going to pull in right about the time it was supposed to start. As we pulled into the lot Matt said, "Man there must be something else going on here tonight, it's packed!" I didn't think much of it, because pretty much every time I've been to the school the parking lot is full. It was really pretty cold, so we ran into the building holding hands. (and we were possibly going to be late) When we walked in we could hear something loud in the distance. Matt said, "Huh? They must be showing a movie somewhere." Still didn't think anything of it. It was about 7:03 at this point. As we came around a corner Matt said, "Man, I need to find a ticket lady!" A guy standing behind a desk asked us if we needed to buy a ticket. Matt replied that he already had them. (Still not catching on) A little lady was standing against a wall in a red jacket. Matt handed her some tickets he'd had in his back pocket. I just figured we needed tickets to get into the auditorium for the meeting or something. She asked him if he needed a seat map. (what is a seat map?) He said, "Nope. Second row off to the right." She opened a door and Matt started leading me into the darkness down steps. All I could hear were girls screaming like at a concert. I said, "Matt we're in the wrong place, I think this is a concert." He kept pulling me along and said, "come on." About half way down the stairs the lights came on. It took me a while to process everything.. then it hit me, that is Pentatonix on the stage?!
We found our seats, right up front. We could have seriously touched them if we had wanted to. They started the next song. We watched "The Sing Off" back when we lived in Wentworth, and they were one of the contestants that year. This song and this song were the first songs we heard of theirs, and I just thought they were simply amazing. (just skip to like 3 minutes on the video of them sitting.) Last Christmas I found their Holiday music and we listened to it like every day. I just love their Carol of the Bells and Little Drummer Boy renditions. I think their arrangements are so cleaver and love listening to music I can feel.
We had a blast at the concert dancing and clapping and dropping our jaws at their talent. What sets them apart to me is how incredibly talented each one is as a vocalist on their own. They were always right on, never a missed note or beat, and just loved singing. It was such a fun concert. I've always been impressed with them on the internet or tv, but in person! It was AMAZING! Some of those notes Avi, their bass, sang the speakers in that concert hall were having a hard time playing, and I just don't know when they breathe. I was trying to conciously watch at one point, and they go SO long without a breath, and they're dancing. I just don't know how it's possible. Avi showed us something I had only ever heard about in Choir class. Overtones. It was really really cool, you should watch it here (fast forward to about 1:30 if you don't want to listen to all the crazy screaming girls before hand) Kevin beat boxed and played his cello at the same time. It was seriously like 4 people making music all in one. Amazing!
They sang so many good songs. this was probably my favorite from that night. It was so powerful standing right there under them. (in this video they always cut away, but Kristie hardly took a breath after her big lead parts. She would belt it out, then ooooo in the background for quite a long time before getting more air. It was quite impressive.) All of their songs were clean, and they danced like any good kid would dance, no dirty stuff to be found. It was awesome. The group came back on for a double encore. The crowd was so energized and the music stunning.
We had such a blast and were home by 9 to put the kiddos to bed.
What a great surprise.

That is so sweet! how fun! I love them!
ReplyDelete